When comparing Ghost Browser vs Iridium Browser, the Slant community recommends Iridium Browser for most people. In the question“What are the best web browsers for Windows?” Iridium Browser is ranked 2nd while Ghost Browser is ranked 29th. The most important reason people chose Iridium Browser is:
* Disable "Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors" * Disable autocomplete through prediction service when typing in Omnibox * Always send "Do-Not-Track" header * Network/DNS prediction is disabled by default * Block third-party cookies by default * Link auditing (<a ping="...">) is disabled by default * Fetch plugins list from iridiumbrowser.de where it will be updated regularly * Site data (cookies, local storage, etc.) is only kept until exit, by default * Passwords are not stored by default * Input form autofill is disabled by default * For IPv6 probes, use a DNS root server instead of Google * The default search provider is Qwant * Load "about:blank" on new tabs instead of the currently set search engine and/or promotions. * Don't report Safe Browsing overrides. * Don't use autofill download service. * Disable cookies for safebrowsing background requests. * Disable the battery status API.
Ranked in these QuestionsQuestion Ranking
Pro Log into any website with multiple accounts in one window
Pro Projects function removes the need to log in
With the new release (as of Dec 6th 2016), you can save a group of "Sessions" with logins stored to a Project, which you can launch with the click of a button. "Projects" eliminates the need to spend time setting up your workflow every day, so you can get right to work.
Pro Save a set of isolated cookie jars into a project
Pro Color coding for session organization
Different sessions are distinguishable by color for easier organization. You can also rename sessions to fit your needs.
Pro Group your cookie jars
Pro Developer tools for each session
The developer tools work just like Chrome, except that you can separate dev tools by session.
Pro Assign a different proxy to each tab for international sites
Pro Privacy enhancements over Chromium
- Disable "Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors"
- Disable autocomplete through prediction service when typing in Omnibox
- Always send "Do-Not-Track" header
- Network/DNS prediction is disabled by default
- Block third-party cookies by default
- Link auditing (<a ping="...">) is disabled by default
- Fetch plugins list from iridiumbrowser.de where it will be updated regularly
- Site data (cookies, local storage, etc.) is only kept until exit, by default
- Passwords are not stored by default
- Input form autofill is disabled by default
- For IPv6 probes, use a DNS root server instead of Google
- The default search provider is Qwant
- Load "about:blank" on new tabs instead of the currently set search engine and/or promotions.
- Don't report Safe Browsing overrides.
- Don't use autofill download service.
- Disable cookies for safebrowsing background requests.
- Disable the battery status API.
It is fast since all background services have been disabled or removed
Pro Extensions are updated manually
They won't update automatically in the background.
Pro Lots of extensions available
Due to access to the Chrome Web store.
Pro Simple installation
Provides installers and packages for the most operating systems and linux distributions.
Pro Security improvements over Chromium
- Increase RSA keysize to 2048 bits for self-signed certificates (used by WebRTC)
- Generate a new WebRTC identity for each connection instead of reusing identities for 30 days
- Generate a new ECDHE keypair for each WebRTC connection instead of reusing them for multiple connections
- Disable using system-provided plugins (i.e. Java, Flash, etc.)
Pro Based on Chromium
Supports all the modern web features
Pro Disabled features
- Disable background mode
- Disable EV certificates, so they are shown just like "normal" certificates
- Disable Google cloud printing
- Disable Google hot word detection
- Disable Google experiments status check
- Disable Google translation service
- Disable Google promotion fetching
- Disable Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) status check
- Disable Google Now
- Disable automatic update check
- Disable profile-import on first run
Pro BSD license
You are in control and you can do almost anything with the code.
Con No essential tools for web development
Con Doesn't support linux
Supports only windows and mac
Con Closed source
Con Slow updates
Since the whole Chromium Release need to be scanned, PC users may wait half a year while the Chrome base gets updated five or six iterations.
Con Extensions MUST be updated manually
Sometimes, removing extensions won't work. Some websites downright refuse to load, no matter the settings.
Con Definitive unique browsing-fingerprint
Con Google Safebrowsing enabled by default
Con Based on Chromium
Con Poor debian support
current versions miss support for debian-based distributions which is by far the most widely used group of linux distributions.