When comparing KiTTY vs WinSCP, the Slant community recommends KiTTY for most people. In the question“What are the best SSH clients for Windows?” KiTTY is ranked 3rd while WinSCP is ranked 11th. The most important reason people chose KiTTY is:
- Sessions filter - Shortcuts for pre-defined command - The session launcher - Automatic logon script - URL hyperlinks - Running a locally saved script on a remote session - Send to tray - Transparency - Quick start of a duplicate session - SSH Handler: Internet Explorer integration - pscp.exe and WinSCP integration - New command-line options
Ranked in these QuestionsQuestion Ranking
Pro Includes additional features over PuTTy
- Sessions filter
- Shortcuts for pre-defined command
- The session launcher
- Automatic logon script
- URL hyperlinks
- Running a locally saved script on a remote session
- Send to tray
- Quick start of a duplicate session
- SSH Handler: Internet Explorer integration
- pscp.exe and WinSCP integration
- New command-line options
Pro Can store login credentials
Pro Startup sessions
Support start-up sessions which allow you to specify the window/tab layout, working directories, and programs to run on startup.
Pro True Color support
Supports True Color, so software like Vim can display a really nice pallet.
Uses Unicode for the best character compatibility.
Pro Supports FTP and SFTP
In new versions also supports WebDav.
Pro Not bundled with Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP)
Does not attempt to install unwanted software on installation.
Pro Free and open-source
It has very good compatibility with the other tools of this segment (e.g. PuTTY).
No Installation required.
Pro Can protect stored passwords by strong AES cipher
Pro Integrated basic text editor
It has a integrated basic function text editor to create/edit/update files directly from client.
Pro Can be automated with batch scripts
put a line in bat file ""D:\Program Files\WinSCP\winscp.com" /console /script="D:\ftp\scripts\transfer.txt". All the info can be found on their site.
Con Still new
Has no packages for a lot of main distros.
Con Weird keyboard selection handling
If you are accustomed to several commanders, the selection method in WinSCP behaves unexpected - most often selects too much.
Con Keyboard shortcuts not editable
Con Does not support UNC
Does not support UNC. This makes working with the "Library"-function in Win 7, 8, 10 not possible when working over a network.