When comparing ZBrush vs Voxel Max, the Slant community recommends Voxel Max for most people. In the question“What are the best voxel editors?” Voxel Max is ranked 5th while ZBrush is ranked 17th. The most important reason people chose Voxel Max is:
- Full suite of features on both iPhone & iPad - Real time material rendering - 256x256x256 build area
Ranked in these QuestionsQuestion Ranking
Pro Powerful brush system allows for lots of creativity
ZBrush lets the user sculpt an object in fine detail with customizable 3D brushes.
Pro Best for hi-poly modeling
Due to the nature of the program and how it uses high poly mesh sculpting it is best to consider this app when wanting high poly models, as that is what it aims to do best.
Pro Can easily simplify mesh topology
Meshes sculpted with ZBrush can contain billions of polygons, but tools are provided to cleanly reduce the poly count.
Pro Has low poly modelling tools with 4r7 version
Pro Always evolving and innovating
Every iteration of Zbrush has evolved beyond the last and has kept all other 3D package devs on their toes consistently.
Pro Plays well with others
Can transfer work between other packages via AppLink and/or Bridge seamlessly.
Pro Best support
No other 3D package has had continued support from their parent company or community like ZBrush has had since inception.
Pro POWERFUL MOBILE EXPERIENCE
Full suite of features on both iPhone & iPad
Real time material rendering
256x256x256 build area
Pro APPLE PENCIL & PRESSURE SENSITIVITY
- Adjustable pressure sensitivity
- Control brush size and color
- Apple Pencil “double-tap” to switch tools
Pro FAMILIAR TOOLS
- Cube/Sphere Brushes, Line, Box & Face Extrusion
- Axis Stretching and Mirroring
- Many select options and Selection Masking
Pro ADJUST LAST ACTION WITH CONTROL POINTS
- Fine tune position and scale of any edit operation
- Curve controls on freehand strokes
- Change material or swap color gradient
Pro UP TO 1920 MATERIALS
- 240 color swatches with individual alphas
- 24-bit RGB color with 8-bit transparency
- 8 material layers to adjust render settings
Pro UNLIMITED VERSION HISTORY
- Undo all the way to document start
- Playback entire build as a time-lapse
- Cloud sync files and edit across devices
Con UI is far from user friendly
Though, it's fully customizable. Like for any software, there is a learning curve.
A single-user license for ZBrush costs $795.
But, Pixologic has not charged a penny for upgrades to licensed users since inception. Anyone who has purchased Zbrush has not been left behind.
Con An odd perspective view
Does not lend itself to cinematic or artistic renderings due to a strange perspective system found nowhere else in 3D which warps according to the relationships between models and rendering viewpoint - there is no real 'camera'.
It is sufficient for rendering your work on a sculptural piece or industrial design, but KeyShot Pro or any other PBR rendering program that uses a camera are recommended for scene rendering, at least in 4R7.
Con Hi-poly only
Not, the case as there is now the Zmodeller Brush system which has a full suite of polygon Modelling options.